Loblaws and its clothing brand Joe Fresh believe that boys should be excused from any bad behaviour because they are boys. They are selling shirts for babies and toddlers printed with the phrase “boys will be boys.” This statement has been used since it was first created to suggest that boys are uncontrollable. It has been used to excuse poor behaviour and stupid decisions. This is the sentiment behind excuses made for boys and men who harass and abuse women. This is the foundation of rape culture.
10 ways boys will be boys
Taken at face value there are definitely ways in which boys will be boys
- Boys will be born with a penis (although they may later choose to have it removed if they choose to identify as a girl later in life)
- Boys will pee in your eye while you are changing their diaper at least once.
- Boys will pee standing up at least once.
- Boys will be expected to like sports
- Boys will probably talk
- Boys will be expected to like girls
- Boys will watch TV
- Boys will get bigger
- Boys will be expected to be strong
- Boys will be expected to ‘be a man’
What about the girls?
Joe Fresh says they will be cute.Loblaws and Joe Fresh would do better to rethink the text on their clothing. There is no reason for reinforcing sexist stereotypes and marketing those stereotypes to our kids. Click To Tweet
Feel free to contact them to let them know your thoughts.