My Goals for 2017 – February Update
I have goals in five broad categories for 2017
- Personal Development
Each month I set out specific goals within these categories and at the end of the month check in to keep myself accountable to what I set out to achieve.
Goals for the year:
- Commit to the majority of evenings every week with my partner that don’t involve me sitting in front of a computer
- Commit to at least one one-on-one activity with each kid per month (this may also be a one kid – two adult activity)
- Take a vacation with my partner without our kids
- Take a vacation as a family during the summer
Continue going to bed at the same time as my partner Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings
I generally accomplished this, although I slipped out of the habit a bit in the last couple of weeks so I will need to refocus on this goal for March. Mostly I think in February I lost track of what day of the week it was and so lost track of what days I needed to go to bed earlier.
Take each kid out to a cafe for at least an hour for one-on-one time
I took all three out and talked with them as a group and they were excited about the idea so now we need to schedule our one-on-one time to do what they would each like to do.
Go to San Diego with my partner – no kids
Done – and it was awesome!
Go out with my partner on at least one date with no kids
Done. We went to a play
- Get back on track with bedtimes
- Schedule one-on-one time with each kid. So far my eight year old and I will be building a bed for her doll and my three year old and I will be going to Starbucks to colour. Ten year old is still thinking about what she wants to do.
- Go on at least one date with my partner with no kids
Business Goals for the year
- Generate at least $500 / month in sales every month through more active marketing year round
- Spread out the production work by doing work every week to partially make products to reduce prep time during busier times of the year
- Develop higher value products to enable higher profit with reduced production time
- Reduce production time by looking for ways to improve efficiency
- Evaluate potential for communications consulting and follow up on 2016 proposal
Produce one newsletter
Add two new products to ThomasWoodcrafts.com and my Etsy store
Done. I added my new Elephant Clothes Hook and Whales Clothes Hook. I also added my new Learning Tower / Kitchen Helper to my website. I have not added it to Etsy because I need to figure out how I would ship it before I offer to sell it outside of Ottawa. Someone asked me if I could make it so that it folds up and I have a design in my head that I think will work and once I make one that folds I’ll have my shipping challenge resolved.
Write new product copy for at least two products – not done
Take new photos of my wooden cars
- Write new sales copy for two products
- Build, photograph and post folding version of learning tower
- Produce one newsletter
- Clean up Etsy listings of all products
Goals for the year
- Increase readership to 10,000 per month by writing quality content and promoting it more effectively
- Write at least one blog post a week, keeping in mind my focus on spending more time with my partner and kids
- Write at least two pieces of evergreen content per month
- Complete cleaning up older content
- Promote older content by sharing one piece on social platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest per day
- Submit two pieces of content to other sites per month
- Produce at least one newsletter per month
Attend Dad2.0 Summit in Sand Diego
We went, it was excellent. I’ve written a few related blog posts, one on my site and two for an agency. I have another one coming on how we find the grey in all the hardline positions being taken on political and social issues.
Write two posts for another site
Post one piece of my content to Facebook every day
Done. I’ve been experimenting with posting at different times of day to see what times result in more clicks through to my blog.
Clean up at least two pieces of older content per week
Done. I’m not sure how many are left to do. I think I am pretty close to having them all cleaned up.
Develop a content calendar for the year
I still haven’t done this.
Write one blog post per week
Wrote six posts on my site, two on Veritas and two evergreen posts including my Dad Guide to Dad Jokes
Write one newsletter
Establish regular schedule of sharing older posts on Life of Dad
Done and will be posting regularly starting in March
- Write at least one post per week, including two evergreen posts
- Complete content calendar
- Produce one newsletter
- Write two pieces of content for other sites
- Post at least one blog post to my Facebook page per day
- Clean up at least four older blog posts
- Share older posts on Life of Dad site
Goals for the year
- I will lose 20 lbs. by the end of 2017 through calorie monitoring and increased activity
Monitor my calorie intake every day and post them on a tracking calendar
I have found a better place for my tracking calendar and I am doing a good job tracking my exercises on the chart. Calorie tracking is intermittent at best.
Find a morning exercise routine I can do on days that I work from home
I am using a push up app and doing push ups – up to 38 in a day so far and combining those with stretches and exercises designed to counteract sitting at a desk all day. On alternate days I have started doing 30 minutes of Yoga following a series that my wife has been using and enjoying.
- Keep up the exercise routines
- Track calories and record on my tracking calendar
- Look for a scale that I can use to start tracking my weight-loss progress. It feels like I have lost some weight, but I have no objective measure since we don’t own a scale.
Goals for the year
- Finish at least one book per month (other than all the books I read to the kids)
- Complete four online learning courses by the end of the year
- Take advantage of the webinars available through work and complete one per week
Finish reading Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
This book was thicker than I expected and I wasn’t able to finish it before I had to return it to the library. I couldn’t renew it because someone else had it on hold.
Complete the online photograph course I purchased in December
I started it and it turns out that I only had 30 days to access the recordings. It was a live webinar format and the sessions took place during the work day. I was out of the country for a week during the course and I was working through the recordings and have discovered that I can’t finish it because I no longer have access to them.
Complete at least two online courses through work
I didn’t get any done.
- Read SPQR by Mary Beard and finish The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer
- Complete at least two online courses through work